GitHub Source Fileshttps://github.com/JS-Beginners/mailchimp-newsletter-signup
Time to CodeThis took about 3 hours, start to finish, including watching part of Angela's solution and then going back to finish my own solution.
app.js), but because it uses three different routes in the express web framework, it's a little more than 200 lines total.
Biggest Take Away(s)
- Be sure to use environment variables to abstract your API keys (and other important information) away from your public facing files. I almost forgot about this. I learned about the importance of environment variables earlier this year. Unfortunately, developers actually forget this and they end up posting passwords, API keys, and more to public GitHub repositories.
- Use a
.gitignorefile to abstract your
.envfile from your github repository. Using environment variables is not enough if you're going to simply upload your .env file. Be sure to hide the .env file by putting it into your .gitignore file.
What to Accomplish
- Download the source code from the github repository above.
- Delete the contents of the
app.js file.Free free to use the Express Routes that I've already have setup (signup, success, and failure.html).
- Deploy your application to Heroku and then add a link to your finished project below!
What You Should See
- Although we won't be able to verify that your application actually works, you'll know when it works when you use your signup form to put users on a Mailchimp mailing list.
- We'll be able to verify just the front end. If we signup, we'll see a success page!
- We can't wait to see what information we'll get from your newsletters!
Need to see the video solution for this project?
Get Angela's Web Development Bootcamp Course