GitHub Source Fileshttps://github.com/JS-Beginners/todo-express-ejs-v1
- NodeJS (Server-Side)
- ExpressJS (Node Framework)
- NPM Modules
New Things Learned or RefreshedI was familiar with all of the concepts in this project since I previously went through all of Angela's Web Development Bootcamp a few months ago. However, I don't really remember building it out as I followed along. In fact, I couldn't find the application on my local computer or in my GitHub repository. So, this time I built it out and learned a lot more. It was a great refresher because even though I used EJS before, I couldn't quite remember the particulars on when or how to use a specific feature. I think it's crazy how much I can forget when I haven't use a feature, library, framework, etc. for a few weeks.
I got stuck a few times, but I eventually prevailed.My project came to a brief pause when I got stuck trying to integrate my CSS files…because I forget to use
app.use(express.static('public'))to set my static files. And I got stuck during my refactoring, when I tried to export my
date.jsmodule into my
app.jsfile…because I was exporting the function instead of the object method. And believe it or not, I got stuck when deploying my app to Heroku because I used
||for my logical OR. Crazy. Last thing I was refreshed on was the deployment to Heroku. I learned that if I don't have a
Procfileconfigured correctly before pushing my code to Heroku, my application will not work.
Time to CodeThis took about 5 hours, start to finish, including watching Angela's solution and then going back to finish my own solution.
app.js), and another 100 or so lines in the ancillary files.
Biggest Take Away(s)
- You can forget a lot when you don't use a feature for a while.
- Google and specifically, StackOverflow are your best friends.
What to Accomplish
- Download the source code from the github repository above.
- Delete the contents of the
date.jsfiles and the
- Deploy your application to Heroku and then add a link to your finished project below!
What You Should See
- You should be able to see today's date at the top of your application.
- You should see three starter items in your Todo list.
- You should be able to add a new item to your Todo list.
Need to see the video solution for this project?
Get Angela's Web Development Bootcamp Course